Thursday, September 18, 2008

1. A couple of friends invited me to go to an Iranian mosque for Iftar tonight, but I declined. Since I'm not fasting, I felt like I'd be a hypocrite if I went. I've enjoyed and even hosted Iftars even though I don't fast, but going into a mosque somehow takes it to a diffierent level. Besides, I had some work I needed to finish up.

But I happened to finish my work five minutes after I was supposed to have been picked up to go to the mosque, and my stomach started to growl at the thought of all the delicious Iranian food that I would be missing.

And that is when it hit me: hypocrites rarely go hungry.

2. Speaking of hypocrites, do you all remember when Ahmandinejad's VP, Esfandyar Rahim Mashaee, said that "Today Iran is the friend of the people of the United States and Israel and no nation in the world is our enemy." Despite the furor his comments caused inside Iran among hardliners who vociferously called for his resignation, Ahmadienjad has resisted and today he again defended his embattered VP, going so far as to say that "Mashahee's views represent the administration's views."

So, where are the ogres who have been milking a mistranslated and out of context phrase to scaremonger the world about Iran wanting to "wipe Israel off the map"?

Their silence, of course, is not surprising. The hypocrites whose visa status or jobs at the Washington Institute or Voice of America depends on building a monstrous image of Iran have reason to fear any reconcilations among, well, just about anybody.

3. Today, a British friend asked for my thoughts on a piece that claimed, among other things, that "an Obama victory would bolster reformists in Iran."

What I told him was that I am no fan of these so-called reformists, and that I find them very much similar to the US Democratic party: no principles and no spine.

Moreover, I don't see that Obama would be all that much better for Iran; his rhetoric may be less scary, but when it comes to action, I very much doubt he will take the US in a productive direction vis-a-vis Iran: just look at his foreign policy advisors and the type of lobbyists he prostrates himself before.

4. I find it somehow odd that Oscar Wilde's only great-granchild is a computer programmer, at least that is what wiki says. More importantly, why did it take me so long to discover his writings? I mean I always knew about him, particularly in relation to dandyism and all of that, but to actually read his work, it was long overdue.

5. My friend Sima writes lots of great emails when she has looming writing deadlines; I write blogs, and I'll leave it up to you decide if they are any good.