Monday, March 19, 2007

Happy New Year



My Haft-seen table, as you can see, is still incomplete. My wheat sprouts are refusing to grow properly, and I haven't had a chance yet to buy fresh flowers and gold fish (although I am considering having only symbolic fish this year, the poor things rarely survive the 13 days of new year's celebrations).

But since I probably wont have a chance to post again until after the New Year, I thought I would put this picture for now and wish everyone--especially Iranians, Afghans, Tajiks, Kurds, and Azarbaijanis who celebrate the traditions of Norooz--a very happy spring equinox.


****

update: There is a saying in Persian that a good year is apparent from its spring. Today, i heard much good news. The two remaining women's rights activists in jail, Shadi Sadr and Mahboobeh Abbasgholizadeh were freed on bail, the political prisoner Nasser Zerafshan completed his prison term and was freed, and the political prisoner Ahmad Batebi has been given a near month's furlough for the new year holiday.

I am really happy that all of these folks will be able to spend the new year with their loved ones, and since i randomly stumbled on this happy new year song by the late iranian singer haydeh, it seemed like it was a sign that I should post it for all to enjoy: