Friday, February 09, 2007

1. Have a look at how CNN correspondent Christiane Amanpour treats her younger Iranian counterparts, a group of journalists who are trying to ask her about her Iran coverage. The clip doesn't have subtitles, but you don't have to be able to understand Amanpour's broken Persian to grasp how condescending and rude she is to the Iranian journalists. She actually hushes them like you would a group of cranky babies.

When an Iranian journalist asks her about the political content of her reports, she responds that there is no such content in her work. Does Ms. Amanpour know that she is covering Iranian nuclear facilities, rather than, say, rose gardens in Shiraz?

She also brushes them off when they ask whether an Iranian journalist could have the access to sensitive U.S. sites and highlevel officials like Amanpour has had in Iran.

Not surprisingly, the Iranian channel covering Amanpour's behavior is having a propaganda field day, but frankly, I can't say I blame them.


2. The owner of the Lebanese business pictured below is on to something. There is a sign up asking patrons not to talk politics while inside.



I saw this picture here, where there is also an Arabic language story about it.

Somebody should capture this sentiment as a slogan on a piece of clothing, kind of like the "Please don't ask me about my thesis" t-shirt. These days, I've been feeling so overwhelmed and freaked out about political developments that I could really use a "Please don't ask me about politics" t-shirt.