Friday, December 22, 2006

1. Yesterday, Nazli and the White Duckling tagged me for this game that people have been playing on the blogosphere for the occasion of Shab-e Yalda (the Iranian winter equinox celebration). The idea is that you confess five things about yourself that your readers may not know and then tag five other people. But since the game was supposed to be a Shab-e Yalda game and i noticed that i was "it" too late, i will take the cowards way out and pass on my turn. Watch out for me next year though.

2. I swear I say this with no nationalistic overtones, but the only New Year's that makes sense or ever seems "real" to me is the Nowruz as celebrated by Iranians, Afghans, Tajiks, Kurds, among others. The Spring Equinox, a time when the earth literally seems to be re-awakening and renewing itself, now that feels new, refreshing, hopeful, vibrant. I just don't get this January 1st stuff, smack in the middle of rain, sleet, or snow. But to those for whom the "holiday season" means something, all the best wishes from me to you.

3. I know this is not very holiday-seasonish, but I've been thinking a lot in the last couple of days about the Iran-Iraq war both because of the continuing war drive against Iran and also because of some studies I was reading about the use of german and U.S-made chemical weapons on Iranian civilians. And most of us who lived through the war probably have a memory of the sad song "mamad naboodi bebini". I remembered that Haji Washington had mentioned the song somewhat recently, so I did a web search for it and found this clip which has put the original song to some gruesome and sad photos from the days of that ugly war.

If you want to ruin a good mood and decide to click on the link, you'll note that the clip only includes pictures of what happened to people as a result of conventional warfare. The photos of the Iranian victims of unconventional, illegal warfare are even more disgusting. Which brings me to a question whose answer I know, but I will keep asking this question until the day that those responsible will be brought to justice:

Why dont saddam hussein's list of charges include his crimes against Iran and Iranians? Why aren't Saddam, alongside the U.S and German companies that supplied him with the chemical and biological weapons he admits to using against Iranians, being held accountable in a court of international law or in this joke of a kangaroo court that is being held in an Iraq that is under foreign occupation?