Saturday, July 01, 2006

1. I think my soccer fever has broken suddenly. With Brazil out, the tournamnent seem like an European Cup rather than a World Cup, and I'm not sure I can muster up much enthusiasm for any of the games.

2. A segment on ABC News was just celebrating Israeli "restraint", I kid you not. So I fired off the email below:

Dear ABC News-

I just heard a reporter on ABC Nightly News claim that "it is a measure of Israeli restraint" that only one Palestinian has been killed during Israel's most recent incursions into the Gaza strip.

Perhaps your reporter needs to consider other factors in determining the extent of this "restraint". For example, your viewers ought to have been informed that the Israelis have taken out bridges and Gaza's main power plant. At the moment, supplies of food and medicines are going bad because of lack of electricity and transport. If "only" one Palestinian has been killed so far, many more are sure to die if the present conditions continue.

Furthermore, how can you justify an all out campaign of collective punishment against Palestinians in the name of rescuing a soldier? Do you speak in the same vein when Palestinians, whose civilians are harmed physically and mentally on a daily basis due to the occupation, take action against Israel?

In any case, I look forward to the day when ABC news shows some "restraint" of its own and covers the events in Israel and Palestine with some modicum of fairness.


3. Oh shoot, i'm late gotta go meet some iranian bloggers. Yay!