Monday, April 24, 2006

1. I stand corrected. Post-invasion Iraq is not all about death and destruction. The U.S. is taking part in construction as well. Indeed, they are building a fortress the size of the Vatican, 21 buildings on 104 acres, originally estimated to cost 1 billion dollars. Ladies and gentlemen: the U.S. Embassy in Iraq.

2. In recent years, it's been my experience that the more vulnerable the hardliners in Iran feel, the more social transgressions they allow. Although they are trying to put a somewhat gentle face on it, the recent clampdown on dress-code violators in Iran indicate to me that the hardliners are feeling more confident than ever.

I think it may be time for me to purchase my own Ahmadinejhad T-Shirt, you know, the one that has his image and the message We're All Gonna Die emblazoned on its front.

3. Now that gas prices are going through the roof, it may be a good time to learn something about the gas stations you are paying so much money to. This ranking chart for 2005 has some useful information. If you don't feel like clicking on the link, i'll at least tell you that according to their criterea, Exxon-Mobil is the worst of the worst, so avoid them if you can.

4. A correction to my previous post, Hadi Mirmiran was buried in Behesht Zahra cemetery's artist's plot in Tehran, and not in Esfehan as I originally thought he would be. Thanks to Siavash for leaving a link to these pictures of the funeral service. I didn't have any luck spotting my dad or any of his friends in the pictures, though I recognized one of the pall bearers as the brother of the deceased. Former President Khatami also issued a statement on Hadi Mirmiran's passing, which you can see here(in persian).