Saturday, January 28, 2006

1. The usual suspects were completely shocked about Hamas' landslide victory in the Palestinian elections. They were the same people who were totally shocked when Eyad Allawi, the puppet whose win the U.S. was projecting, got less than 10% of the vote in the last Iraqi elections. When is the "western" press and governments going to realize that their Middle East "experts" don't know jack? Anyone who has even a minimal understanding of the Gaza Strip, for example, should have been surprised that Hamas didn't get a higher percentage of the vote.

2. We passed through an art exhibition the other day that was a bunch of paintings of "world leaders" when they were small children. The artist had based his paintings on actual photographs. The cutest child was Kim Jong-il, and george W. followed in a close second. Vladimir Putin and Ariel Sharon, however, started out looking/being evil, as opposed to Kim jon-il and bush, who clearly developed the trait.

3. After years of wanting to watch it, we finally had a chance to see Deliverance, and it was kind of counter-climactic. What disturbed me most about the famous rape scene was my own reaction. How many times have I seen acts of violence against women re-enacted on a tv/movie screen? Perhaps thousands of times. So if I am so used to seeing such violence, how come I was so effected by the rape scene in this film? Was it because it was against a man? I think it was and, of course, that bothers me, because it means that somewhere along the way, I got used to the idea of violence against women as part of the "natural" order of things.

Anyway, I think maybe the film had some kind of christian subtext which of course was completely lost on me. So maybe there is a whole lot more to the film than I could gather.

4. So apparently Steven Spielberg declared in an interview with Der Spiegel: "I would die for Israel". Go right ahead, buddy! Or as they say in Arabic Ahlan Wa Sahlan!