Thursday, December 22, 2005

1. After Ahmadinejhad made his now notorious remarks about the Holocaust, it was the top news on almost every single news site I checked, and numerous analysis and condemnatoions followed for days. So I was surprised that when Mohamed Mahdi Akef, the leader of the Muslim Brotherhood in Egypt, made almost identical remarks, his statements didn't seem to hardly cause a stir. I actually had to do some google-ing before I found some news items on this story, one of which can be found here. Anyway, I have some thoughts on this which I will save for later, but I wanted to link to the story in case you haven't seen it, and so that I wont forget to return to it in future posts.

2. Anyone know if MSG (Monosodium Glutamate) is still supposed to cause a variety of health problems? Well, I just bought some and I'm looking forward to spreading it over our stir fry dinner tonight. Yep, shrimp and veggie stir fry with a sprinkling of MSG, served with a very sour Chamorro sauce that appeals to the food sensibilities of northern iranians. If there is one common taste among the cuisine of Mazandaran, I would have to identify it as tangy, so this sauce of soysauce, vinegar, and lemon hits the spot. Yea, but back to the point, is MSG still in the evil food category or what?

3. Did you know that babies can grow to full term outside the uterus, die inside the body, and remain calcified for years on end? This case study (with photos) is not for the weak of heart, but I find it too fascinating not to pass on. I mean I don't know which thing I find more amazing: that a child can grow, die, and remain preserved inside a woman's body or that a woman can carry such a huge mass inside of her for so long without realizing it or suspecting that something is wrong.