Thursday, May 06, 2004

I wont bother linking to those disgusting torture pictures, you all have seen them already I am sure and have had the range of emotions I suppose are typical of any decent person.

Was it the neo-fascist Silvio Berlusconi or was it that other Italian, the journalist Oriana Fallaci (whose submerged ethnocentrism has come into its full racist bloom in the last few years), who were publicly raving and ranting post-9/11 about the moral superiority of the West?

I don't remember, it is quite likely that it was both of them.

In any case, I was reminded of such arrogant proclamations when I viewed those photos, but I hold no illusions that even such stark evidence will shake people out of their sanctimony. Instead, it will be either ignored or dismissed as an aberration, as the exception, as the work of the few bad apples.

Almost half a century ago, Aime Cesaire opened his classic work "Discourse on Colonialism" with these words:

A civilization that proves incapable of solving the problems it creates is a decadent civilization.

A civilization that chooses to close its eyes to its most crucial problems is a stricken civilization.

A civilization that uses it principles for trickery and deceit is a dying civilization.


And long before the devastating U.S. interventions in Chile, Vietnam, Panama, Laos, Cambodia, Granada, Nicaragua, Afghanistan, Iraq (to name a few), Cesaire wrote in this same work:

To go further, I make no secret of my opinion that at the present time the barbarism of Western Europe has reached an incredibly high level, being only surpassed--far surpassed, it is true--by the barbarism of the United States.

I have nothing more to add for now.