Friday, April 09, 2004

Look at this exchange between Iranian president Khatami and a reporter as covered in today's edition of the Persian language Shargh Newspaper:

In response to reporters' questions about Mohammad el-Baradei's visit to Iran, Seyyed Mohammad Khatami Said: "As for me, I talked a lot. Last night I also talked. And there are some things I want to do, and god willing, I'll speak with you about it next week".

A reporter who was critical of the fact that the president didn't want to speak with reporters, said: "if you dont speak with us, our hearts will break", to which Khatami responded with: "God forbid your hearts should break! Of course, there are many who break your hearts and break mine as well. But, well, there is nothing I can do about it."


My god! The number of times that Khatami proclaims his impotence in the face of various matters is amazing ("you know my blade doesn't cut", remember when he said that a few weeks ago? "my blade doesn't cut", hmm, some one want to psychoanalyze that?)

Dude, why don't you resign? That winsome smile and those rosey cheeks seem to embitter more people than they charm these days. At least this is true for Iranians, the rest of the world still seems to be honeymooning with the smiling Seyyed Khatami....

****

Strange thing is, i just read the above interview this morning but last night i had a long extended dream about Khatami, about whom i've never dreamt before. i had an important question to ask him, but i awoke just as he was about to deliver his response. In the dream, I put out this big long disclaimer before I posed my question, and he said to me "go ahead, my daughter". Then my longwinded inquiry tumbled out, and i never did get to hear the response...