Saturday, March 13, 2004

I've been in a mood over the obvious, namely the catapulting destruction and ensuing balkanization that is in the near future of West Asia, and i'm not just talking about Iraq either. i'm talking the whole region. Seeing this young man singing a lamenting song about Afghanistan has exacerbated my mood.

The person who produced the clip (who is presumably Irani) has called it "The simple pleasures of iran" or some such thing, which i think is a rather unfortunate choice for this piece.

Anyway, the young man is playing the daf as he sings, and he only has the slightest Afghan accent (probably because he has been a refugee in iran for so long) so i understood his Persian. I'm posting a quick translation of his lyrics below. the ........ indicate parts that i didn't quite catch but i don't have time to re-listen now, so i'm posting what i have thusfar. it should give the gist of what he is singing in case you don't understand Persian. please let me know if i've made mistakes or if you can make out the lyrics of the parts i've left out. i'm trying to do this in a big hurry so i can't be exact.

oh, and another fact of note, this was recorded in June of 2002, after the so-called liberation of Afghanistan. So here is a rough and partial translation:


...................
...................
they broke your heart
each in turn

my homeland is weary from oppression
my homeland is without song and without sound
my homeland is suffering from a pain with no cure
my homeland my homeland

I wandered without a nest
without you i wandered from branch to branch

my homeland is weary from oppression
my homeland is without song and without sound
my homeland is suffering from a pain with no cure
my homeland my homeland

My one and only love
.....(my sunset and my sign?).....................
without you my poetry and song have no charm

my homeland is weary from oppression
my homeland is without song and without sound
my homeland is suffering from a pain with no cure
my homeland my homeland

.......(something about martyrs in Kabul)...................
the people of our afghanistan have tearful eyes
the people of our kabul have tearful eyes

(the last two verses i can't make out at all and it cuts off, but he says something about rain and/or bombs and some other thing having been brought to "our afghanistan" and "our Kabul".

well, i have to go shake this mood off since i am going to celebrate a friend's wedding pretty soon.