Saturday, January 31, 2004

The Museum of Torture

I have to make this quick because I am still running around trying to get things ready before my out-of-town guest arrives tomorrow, but I couldn't resist posting a link to these pictures of a torture museum in Iran. There are even pictures of Khatami touring the place. There are a lot of sick ironies to be noted here, of course, but I don't have the time to get into it. Oh, and since I wouldn't have even seen the pictures if it weren't for Eehum, here is a link to his page (it's in Persian). I haven't read his whole post yet, but I think he has some line about the Shah and his torturers having been turned into a museum and that one day the current regime and their thugs will be nothing more than artifacts in a museum either. I'd like to see a museum of torture that has the crimes of the Islamic Republic side by side with those of the Shah's regime. That way people can see all the continuities between the two-- the same methods, the same kinds of individuals targeted, and sometimes even the same torturers (there has been some documentation on the roll over in torture personnel between the regimes, which I'll try to find if anyone is interested).