Sunday, January 04, 2004

I'm just about recovered from the family trip to Vegas, which was actually quite fun. Oddly enough, I found myself having the same experience I did this time last year, when I was visiting Iran for the first time in 16 years. That is, I was so completely over-loaded with new sensory data that all but one of my critical thinking faculties shut down. The only critical faculty left, of course, was the one that recognized that I wasn't thinking critically. At the time in Iran, I was more than grateful for the break from my own brain (the guilt and self-chastising I gave myself when I got back to the States is another story). I’ll have to write about all of that sometime. For now, I just wanted to note how strange it was for me to have parallel experiences in two places that couldn’t be more different.
Then again, hmm, I’ll have to think about this one. The Islamic Republic of Iran and Las Vegas. Theatrics, dissimulation, slights of hand. Rumors of mafia-like networks running the main operations. A big seedy underbelly. Maybe not so different after all.
I’ll end this now, seeing as to how I am new to this whole thing. Also, I saw another Irani blogger post something about people going on with their inane usual rants when their homeland has just seen one of the worst natural catastrophes in recent history. (I haven’t figured out how to link to stuff yet, but I’ll link to his post once I learn how it is done). I take his point, so I’ll try to minimize the inanities as much as I can for a while