Wednesday, January 07, 2004

I just saw a very sad flash slide show about the catastrophe in Bam. You can link to it
here. It is produced by youth activists in Iran (left leaning, I believe, which is pretty rare these days). My gut feeling is that it is inappropriate--particularly at such an early stage in the tragedy--to use the disaster in pushing forth a political agenda, even if that agenda is one of resistance against tyranny. I think this is especially true given that many of the images used in this case are of corpses who obviously have no say in how their photos are deployed. And I seriously doubt that their families (if indeed any of their family survived) were asked for permission about the use of the images. There was an article in the UK Guardian recently about the ethics of using such photos even for news purposes, but I haven't had a chance to look at it yet