Tuesday, January 27, 2004

The big grocery chains have been pulling some major union-busting moves, so I have had to do my shopping elsewhere for some time now. Tonight, though, I almost broke down. It was cold, rainy, and I was having flashes of total apathy. But I dragged myself from the beachside-white-utopia town that I live in and drove to the beachside-white-utopia town 5 miles away and did my shopping at a store that shows its employees a modicum of respect. I know, consumer activism, nothing to be brag about, but it's all I could manage to do today.
I did run into a former student, whose name I couldn't remember for the life of me, even though he was a student in two of my classes last year. At least I remembered his face, which these days is quite an achievement, considering I sometimes hardly recognize people who are my current students. We talked about another guy who had been in one of the courses and who had had two films accepted at the Sundance Film Festival. The guy at the store seemed to be doing well too, which is nice to hear. I'm glad to see that not everybody falls into the post Bachelor's degree abyss that many of my friends and I fell into (and haven't completely gotten out of).